Taking care of your oral health isn’t just about keeping your teeth looking white and straight. It’s about taking care of your gums and the structures that support your teeth. Periodontal disease, which you may know as gum disease, can infect your gums, causing discomfort or pain. Our team at The Greenville Dentist can help keep your mouth free of infection. We work hard to prevent and treat periodontal disease.
Signs of Periodontal Disease
Sometimes it’s hard to tell if you have periodontal disease, but it’s easier to treat if caught early. Watch for the following signs to catch gum disease as quickly as possible:
- Bad breath that persists
- Pain or sensitivity in the teeth
- Receding, red, swollen, or bleeding gums
- Irritated gums
- Mouth sores
- Tartar buildup
- Pus on the gums
What Can Be Done
A big reason we encourage you and your loved ones to come in for regular dental cleanings and exams is so that we can help prevent periodontal disease. Along with regular dental cleanings, another good way to avoid periodontal disease is by maintaining good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing at least twice a day and flossing daily.
If you already have gum disease, we can help treat it. Some of our treatment options include the following:
- Scaling and Root Planing – Through scaling and root planing, we can rid your mouth of damaging plaque and tartar and take measures to keep it out. This is a deep cleaning that takes place under the gums.
- Arestin – We offer Arestin, an antibiotic that helps reduce the plaque harboring pockets in your gums that come about because of infection. It also helps to kill bacteria that finds its way in your mouth.
- Oraqix – We use this anesthetic along with our scaling and root planing procedures. It takes effect in about 30 seconds and because it is non-injectable, it can easily be applied throughout the procedure to keep you comfortable.
Our team is here to help keep your mouth as healthy as possible. Call us to learn more about our treatment options and how we can help you today!